Tuesday, April 10, 2012

A collected, classic, signature style

Written by Martine Resnick, of [martine louise design]
Posted April 10, 2012 | Mark Sunderland Interiors


1: Describe what you do in a sentence or two
A: I'm either an interior designer that sells antiques or an antique dealer that decorates houses. I guess I wear two different hats. Then again, I have hats for: marriage counselor, psychotherapist, educator,... and class-clown. I like hats.

2: When did you first fall in love with design?
A: Growing up, I lived in the tiniest of houses, with only the most-essential of furnishings. My Aunt Blanche and Uncle Glen, however, had the nicest of everything, especially down-cushioned chairs. I must have been 7 or 8 when I noticed that every Spring , Aunt Blanche put floral slipcovers on every chair and sofa in her living room, transforming the same furniture into colourful bouquets of comfort. I guess I fell in love with interior design then.

3: What do you love most about your design trips to Europe?
A: What I like most about design trips to Europe,...over-and-above the fact that I KNOW that I'll find fabulous treasures for my clients,.....is meeting new antique dealers and re-visiting Olde Friends that I've been buying from for years. This is a PEOPLE business; I say it all the time! ...Plus, staying at the Goring Hotel in London ain't so shabby, either!

4: What do you love about design in the South?
A: I moved to the South from Pennsylvania in 1994. I immediately recognized that Southerners have a different value-system for their homes that what I had witnessed in the North. "Attention-To-Detail" is a very nice middle-name to have in the South.

5: What can we expect to see next from you?
A: I just-might be working on a yacht-renovation later this year. My clients will never use "that word," so let's just say that I'll be "working on their boat." Ralph Lauren has a FANTASTIC new collection of outdoor-fabrics in a Nautical-theme; I cannot WAIT to propose them to my clients.

To see more pictures and read the full article, click here!

No comments:

Post a Comment