Tuesday, August 31, 2010

What Kind of Snob are You?

"Most of Us Take Something to the Point of Snobbery."


I'm a snob; I admit it. Anyone who takes his life and profession very seriously without accepting mediocrity is somewhat of a snob. What's wrong with liking nice things? Range Rovers. Polo by Ralph Lauren clothes. My Patek.

It's easy to be a furniture snob where I work, since we offer name brands representing quality and value. I love it when I can propose a sofa for $1899. that is made better and will last longer than that sofa at the mall for $2299. Or that end table hand-made by quality craftsmen in Viet Nam: it's less expensive because the labor is less, but it is still good quality.

Can you prove (or rationalize) that your $4 cup of coffee is better than my cup of Folger's? Or that your handbag is better than that purse from WalMart? Most times you can.

Let's face it, if you eat granola bought in bulk and hug trees on your lunch hour, you may "think" you're not a snob. But what about your Birkenstocks?

I'd love to hear from you, as would my "peeps." This should be good; come on, fess up!!! "What Kind of Snob are You?"

2 comments:

  1. I am a PURSE SNOB - but you already knew that ;) xo Reagan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, without question - this peep is a FOOD snob. I was raised under the maxim, "Skimp on anything you want, but never on food." So, today, that means local, organic produce. You can always find fabulous cheeses here - right now, it's Sottocerne, Robiola, Stilton and a lovely goat brie. Fresh baked breads and home made butter (let's not be imagining churns here - a food processor does the job quite effortlessly). Oh - and chocolate. Let's not waste time on Hershey's or Nestle - but a fine 70% dark chocolate? Yes, please :-)

    ReplyDelete